The Impossible Render Clean
- Client:Brighton Housing Association
- Project Duration:28 Days
- Access Method:Spectrum Steam
Our case studies are designed to
offer you valuble information about
our pioneering cleaning systems.
For more information please
do not hesitate to contact us.
A complex project, with logistical and political intricacies read on to find out how we managed to fully restore the external façade of Ursa Court with limited disruption to locals or residents.
The Housing Association was able to save £120K on access costs over 3 decorating cycles!
It was no wonder that many other contractors had deemed this an ‘impossible site’, a challenge that Spectrum was prepared to take on.
There were a lot of
technical access challenges; However, there were also some political challenges
too. The Bus station had rigorous protocols on health and safety, and if anyone
were to gain access to the back of this bus station, they would need to
undertake the same health and safety training their staff would have. The pub
were not allowing any disruption to their garden especially during some of the
busiest months of their year, gaining access to this would remain a challenge
for Spectrum too.
With Spectrum considering all of the above. The method of cleaning would consist of combining two access strategies. 15% of the building would be cleaned via rope access in which an A-Frame portable anchor device would be brought to the site as there was no fixed anchor on the roof for the abseilers to use. The remaining 85% would be cleaned via the Spectrum Patented Render Cleaning System. This system would enable much of the work to be done from the safety of the ground without the use of any expensive and disruptive scaffolding, M.E.P.U. or specialist equipment. This access strategy alone was set to save the client over 30%! With an access method proposed, the political issues would need to be addressed for these planned works to be approved by all parties.
The Housing Association saved £120K on access costs over 3 decorating cycles.
To address the political
challenges to this site, Spectrum conducted
a tri-party meeting, to present a solution to the owners of the surrounding
affected sites. Spectrum organised for their
team to carry out the required health and safety training for them to gain
access to the base of the bus and coach depot. The bus garage had also
informed Spectrum that they had some
roof and gutter issues. Spectrum carried
out a full inspection for the bus garage as a thank-you for their cooperation
to the planned works.
The pub were impressed by the fact that Spectrum would not need to use scaffolding around their pub to gain access to the block and as a gesture of goodwill for their collaboration on this project Spectrum had a credit note raised to them for future use which included a full external clean to their façade and windows.
Once all parties had confirmed they were happy to approve the cleaning works, Spectrum began restoring this building to its former glory. In just over 28 days, Spectrum had applied a biocidal wash, steam cleaned, and future-proofed each elevation with minimal disruption to all parties and the public. In addition to the render restoration, Spectrum had cleaned the stained decking, taken care of the gutters and cleaned all windows and surrounds. A building that had been deemed “impossible” to access and “impossible” to clean had been transformed with no risk to the public or environment.
18th June 2020
27th July 2021
18th January 2021
4th February 2021
18th June 2020
20th October 2020
4th March 2021
21st September 2020
22nd January 2021
1st July 2021